This is the second championship in a row for this group and I’m already calling for a “three-peat”.
Way to go, Sarah! This was no easy task. Over the course of the season there are so many ups and downs, injuries, conflicts, etc. It’s really an amazing accomplishment!
Field Days today and tomorrow - Our field day activities will take place as follows:
- preschool through pre-kindergarten students - Monday 9:00-10:30 - assisted by 7th grade students
- kindergarten through second grade - Monday 1:00-2:30 - assisted by 8th grade students
- third through fifth grades - Tuesday from 9:00-10:30
- sixth through eighth grades - Tuesday from 1:00-2:30
Wednesday evening at 7:00 is our Baccalaureate Service for eighth graders, parents and guests. All families in the school are welcome to join us in the church for this special Eucharist that honors our soon-to-be-graduates. The service will be followed by a reception in the Parish Hall, hosted by our seventh grade students and their parents.
Thursday is the last day of classes for all students, except eighth graders, who will finish shortly after noon on Wednesday. Classes will dismiss at the regular time on Thursday.
Service hours for this year are due on the last day of school.
Graduation will be on Friday, May 23rd from 1:00-3:00 in the north wing MPR. The building will not open until noon on that day as teachers and staff are not expected to arrive until 12:30. Once again the community is welcome to join us in honoring our graduates. Child care will not be available on this day.
Extended Day will be available on Tuesday through Friday of Memorial Day week by prior arrangement with Mrs. McDonald at kmcdonald@speds.org. Summer program classes will begin on Monday, June 2.
If you wish to sign your child(ren) up for Lunch Bunch or Extended Day next year: the sign-up forms for both are now online.
Extended Day: http://www.speds.org/Page/Programs/Extended-Day
Lunch Bunch: http://www.speds.org/Page/Student-Forms/Lunch-Bunch-Registration
Should you find that you need to make a change to your child’s enrollment in either program after you’ve registered, please DO NOT fill out another form. Instead send the changes for Extended Day to Karen McDonald (kmcdonald@speds.org), and send the changes for Lunch Bunch to Linda van Thullenar (Lvan@speds.org).
This will probably be my last edition of the Monday Morning Memo so I want to take the opportunity to say a few thanks and good-bye. I cannot tell you how devastated I was when, early last Friday morning, I had to acknowledge that I would not be able to attend the Retirement Reception planned for me. I had so much I wanted to say, if I could keep my emotions in check long enough to say them. So I'll summarize here.
First, I have loved working with your children! They have made me smile every day of this job and I have sustained myself on their honesty, energy, hard work, sense of humor, creativity, intelligence, and athletic and artistic abilities. Yes, there have been disappointments, but we'd rather have our children make their mistakes in environments like ours and learn from them so they won't make them in places that aren't as safe and forgiving.
Second, it has been a pleasure to work with the professionals with whom I interact each day. Our teachers and administrators are committed to your children, work well with each other, and seek to continue growing as professionals.
Third, we tell all of our new teachers that the biggest advantage we have as a school - other than the children - is their parents, because you partner with us in the education of your children. Yes, you'll challenge us if you don't understand something or don't agree with us, but the vast majority of you do so in respectful ways that allow each of us to grow and learn through the process of honest communication.
Fourth, our board members are very dedicated to their roles and commit more time in the execution of their duties than most of the other school's trustees do. Their work through committee meetings, board meetings, the search process, fundraising, attendance at special events, and addressing parent questions to them has always represented the epitome of what independent school trustees should do and be.
And last, but by no means least, is the support of the church in the form of our rector, chaplain, senior warden and vestry. From advice and counsel to sharing facilities and from governance issues to participation in our events, the church has been a partner that supports the activities of the school in every way.
It has been my privilege to lead this wonderful school for ten years and to be part of a community that shares values on how people should be treated and works daily to teach these to our children. My wish for us as we move into the future is that we keep those goals at the forefront of our dealings with each other and our teaching of our children. Our world in so many ways contradicts these values but we must maintain our commitment to be counter-cultural in this way.
The doctors have advised me that I should not return to school because of the risk of further damage and a much longer recovery. I have not, as yet, been able to accept this. I cannot imagine missing my last week with our students. An MRI and another doctor visit may change this diagnosis but the program team will meet with me today at my home to plan for all contingencies.
My heart is breaking and I am trying to do everything I can to return for at least part of all the special activities of this week. This is NOT how I wanted to end my career.
Thank you for the special reception for which I am soon to see the video, your very sweet messages, the food offerings , and the special care and concern being expressed. I do not want to fade quietly out of sight but would prefer to play on the softball team, and share my love and support of all of our students as they end a successful year and move up - and, in the case of our eighth graders - move on. If there is any way, I will do so - except the softball game, of course!
Thank you for the memories, the growth I have experienced, and especially for entrusting your precious children to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment